View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default First musky on the fly

I headed out this past weekend to see if I could catch my first musky on the fly.
I was using a new Batson RX8 9wt that I just picked up from the rod builder the night before. It was paired with the new kraken and S.A. pike/musky line.

I tied up a few flies the night before and really ended up liking one in particular. It was similar to the hang time fly, but tied a bit differently - I think easier. It is a fire tiger theme with a ton of flash. I have used firetiger lures at this particular lake a lot with good success so I figured the fly would be effective in that scheme as well.

The weather was quite cold and got colder as the day progressed. On the third cast, I had a follow already. About 10 feet from the boat I gave the fly a nice long pause and watched him slowly move in until he was about 6 inches from the fly where he just stopped. I let him sit for a second and then gave the fly a twitch. The fur, feathers, and flash pulsated causing him flare those gills, open that mouth, and annihilate the fly.

I set the hook and it was game on. Since he was so close to the boat, and the not the biggest musky in the pond, the fight was brief. I got him CPR'ed and swimming pretty quickly. He measured right at 32.
Click the image to open in full size.

I kept casting for a couple of hours as the weather got colder and colder. Eventually the line was just too hard to deal with and the guides were icing up. I spent more time cleaning ice than I did casting so I put the fly rod away. A few hours later, on a firetiger jerkbait, I got my second musky of the day.

Click the image to open in full size.