Thread: Winter Fishing
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Fishing

Up here you set in an ice house with a good heater going and pull fish though round holes in the floor. If you want to do it in style there are people with big screen TV, generators, satellite TV,bunk beds, stove, carpet and pictures on the walls. I've been in ice houses that are nicer than my living room and have better electronics. One resort up here hauls a full survice bar out on the ice that seats 40, has a really big flat screen TV and you can fish while you drink and watch the football game. They take their ice fishing serious up here.

On a second note we now have enough ice on the lake you can drive anything. As soon as it warms up I am going to go to the West end of the lake and fish for big Pike.

Now to try and help you out with what you really wanted to know. I dress in layers. I use Neoprene waders with thinsulate insulated boots. I also wear glove that I can cast with and keep my hands dry. I bring two pairs because if you get one wet and your hands start to get cold you will get cold. I fish the river here right up till ice up most years. I didn't this year because we went from nice to seriously nasty like hitting a switch. This was the coldest Fall I have seen since I lived here. I have a pair of wool gloves with a rubber coating on the palm side. When those get wet or it gets colder, I switch to leakproof neoprenes with fingerless wool gloves over the top. Neoprenes alone don't keep you warm and wool gets wet and you will get cold. Together they work. It's not as easy to cast, but you learn to adapt.