View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Most Memorable Fish of 2012

Well, it was the biggest of the year, a 20lb plus Chinook. It jumped seven times and was the largest fish I've ever caught on a fly (egg sucking leech) and took about 1/2 hour to land. That was memorable. I had hooked some earlier but they all broke off. I found out you had better follow a fish and keep as much line in as possible and completely wear it out before getting too short a line, etc, etc. basically correcting for my earlier break offs. The experience also gave me a much better respect for the potential of fly tackle, I had a 9' #8 weight rod and $50 Corland reel- work horse type gear- that seemed fine for the task at hand. The salmon fishing is sort of "tough stuff" and I'm not sure I'd want to be using really expensive tackle as it can get busted up pretty good. So, I caught a fair number of trout in 2012 but the first Chinook (ended up landing 3) was the most memorable. Earlier in the year I caught some nice rainbows in the Smokies when the laurel was in full bloom and I had hiked into an area I had all to myself and there were otter, black bears, deer, and turkeys. That ranks pretty high as well for a pleasant and memorable experience. All in all, 2012 was a very good year and I am gratful for it.