Thread: Learning to Tie
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Learning to Tie

Based on what I have learned over the couple years I've been tying now..

1) youtube and the rest of the internet is a better source for learning to tie than a book imho.. a book will have 100s of patterns sometimes.. when in all honesty you only really need a dozen in a range of sizes to get you through a whole season.. and with websites like this one.. and the flytyingforum.. charliesflybox.. etc.. there's no shortage of beginners material out there..

2) Build your own kit.. Don't buy a pre-fab fly tying kit.. they are often filled with sub-par materials... a simple AA Vise($10-20, a couple bobbins($4/ea).. bobbin threader($4.. if you must.. i've never had a use for one).. bodkin($4).. micro tip scissors($10).. whip finisher($5).. hackle pliers($3).. Hair Packer($4).. All that for around $40.. then get some brassie sized gold and silver wire.. dubbing in hares ear, olive, tan, cream, black, orange, caddis green(i suggest FlyTyersDungeon.. super cheap dubbing)... some natural colored Pheasant tail.. Goose Biots in Black, White, and Brown... Peacock Hurl.. Elk Hair.. Ultra Chenille in red and pink... Medium Chenille in black, brown, olive, white.. Marabou in black, brown, olive, white.. Strung rooster hackle in black, brown, olive, white... All that right there will tie you a plethora of simple and highly effective flies