View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 04:50 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Practicing Proper Catch and Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
Excellent presentation.
I would like to add a few words. Just because an angler releases his fish doesn't mean that hooking injuries causing infection won't kill that trout forty-eight hours later. So, the easiest way to reduce the number of trout rolling lifeless along the bottom of the pools, is to be moderate in our fishing. We can practice personal catch-and-release limits.

It is not necessary to catch thirty or more trout a day, and a large number of fish landed doesn't necessarily indicate the practices of a skilled fisherman... but it suggests a fish hawg. Now, Dante put fish hawgs in the Third Circle of Hell:

So, as a part of our fishing we can adopt the adage "Limit your catch, don't catch your limit."
What a great post! That's a conversation I've had with a friend a few times over the last couple of years. Generally it comes out like "hey, how many do we have to catch before we can sit down and have a beer?"

I think as we get older we get better at stopping and just watching and listening...kinda soaking it all in rather than thrashing the water from dawn to dark like we used to. It's interesting to hear so many younger fishermen say that they start to "get that part" after they come to the long rod.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...-Mike