View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default Some fly patterns to share, some home grown ties...

here are a few spey/steelhead baitfish ties ans two trout flies strictly using materials from harvests...Elk, Mule Deer, Pronghorn, White Tail, Buffalo, Wild Turkey, Gadwall, Wood Duck, Pheasant, Squirrel ect...even a few creatures that met a sad ending by less than natural terms...like my truck...

after using a stomach pump and seing quite a bit I started to relize that so many of the patterens we take for gospel are more of an irritant or stimulator to trout and larger species....a provocation rather than imitating a food species...I still tie some stuff w/ flash and striking colors too...but am sort of on a "kick" using my harvested materials that are more demure in coloration...

here are a few...

I call this one "drop tine" because of the wood duck wing pin feather imitation a lower fin...Moose and Elk mane & some buffalo tail wire for the tail...Buffalo dubbing, Gadwall outer wing and Wild Turkey fan sprigs...

Click the image to open in full size.

to get an idea of the size...a larger/longer tie...I want to make a few of these w/ articulating hook a bit farther back too...

here is a minnow/ baitfish with some red cardinal hackle style to imiate a wounded baitfish...pretty common find in larger species bellys...

red spey1

this one started out as sort of a durham ranger turned mountain man...Elk and Mule deer fur for the outer body...wood duck for the side panel accent...

here is a version with a longer tail of wood duck wing feather and streamlined a bit...ands some white fur for a little hood...

"Pope & Young"

here is a wet fly that is real simple...buffalo wool dubbing...elk fur tail and gadwall wing...this fly is a great top fly in dropper rigs on the S Platte...you can fish it as a nymph or single as a small streamer...a hackle could be added and a fatter wing and be a good large caddis too...I have tied some w/ some lead wire & clipped wing w/ added legs for a good stone fly nymph...colors match real good what I find w/ the pump...

here is my favorite maylfy dry...a gray drake hair body and wing...mule deer for the gray body...elk, and gray squirrel for the hair wing...I dose this tie with some dry ginks real good and let it dry thoroughly...then fly powder too when I use it, to keep it floating with only a few contact points...

streamside...

I am not the greatest tyer...but I enjoy myself and do catch some fish with these...I just love using stuff from my harvests , especially with my home made bamboo trout and spey rods...ted

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 12-31-2012 at 11:08 AM.