View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Practicing Proper Catch and Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
To throw a totally off-the-wall, tangent response in the mix -- I could make a very sound, reasonable argument for keeping as many bluegill as I can catch in a day (or whatever the regs allow) as a means of helping the ecosystem. I've had many landowners ask me to do this actually on private ponds.

I realize that this article is primarily intended for trout and I very much agree with it -- particularly the part about handling the fish. I just wanted to toss an oddball in there for thought.

When people ask me "is it better to release the fish" the answer is often "no, not really".

It depends.
Well, nowhere (that I recall) does the article urge people to release fish. It urges people who do release fish to do it in a way that helps them survive. I would take stunted brookies from overcrowded waters and do harvest hatchery steelhead.