View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practicing Proper Catch and Release

Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
When people ask me "is it better to release the fish" the answer is often "no, not really".

It depends.
I don't think that should be Often no. Ocassionally no might be a better response.

One last side note. There has been some debate as to the cutting the leader on a deep hooked fish. Some say leave a few inches of line so it does not fold over and block eating. I also look to see where it is deep hooked at before deciding on leaving the hook in it. One time I caught a Pike with a treble hook deep in and essentially stapled it's throat shut. it had a giant head and a long skinny body. It was clearly starving to death. I cut the hook up and removed it. Any trauma I did to the fish was better than the slow death it was suffering from.

Last edited by Guest1; 01-01-2013 at 06:29 PM.