View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for Broken Rod Blanks/Pieces

I've been there with the blotches. Here are two things I do with color preserver (CP) that have helped me, both on the first coat:
1. The very first place I put color preserver is on the thread at the bottom of the guide foot. I let it soak in and work my way up the guide foot with a good bit of CP letting it soak in as I go up. I saw someone do this with varnish on silk wraps saying by starting at the foot and going up it helped force air out.

2. I put a drop of CP on the blank on either side of the the guide foot as it emerges from the wrap. This will be in front of the opening created as the guide rises from the blank. Give it a bit (go do the above process on the next guide and come back or whatever) and often times the CP will have been sucked up in between the guide foot and blank, add another drop. When no more is sucked up, use a scrap of clean paper towel to absorb the extra CP on the blank.

Pardon the low-tech image, but this might help give you a visual.

Click the image to open in full size.

I always do at least two coats of CP and be sure to get a good bit on so the wraps are fully soaked each time. Don't stress too much, a fun thing about rod building is that you'll always be learning how to make the next one better.