Re: 1st time fly fishing salt need some help guys.
1) I only use wire leader if the blues are big and everywhere! When i use wire i use 20# tieable wire by surflon
2)I always tie my own leaders which are simply 4.5 feet of 30# 3feet of 20# and 2 feet of 16# tippet
3) You should be able to throw a 3/0 with no problem but most of my flies are between size2 and 1/0
4) I would not buy a kit type combo look for a better quality used set up
5) I usually spray my stuff down with a hose and i also wash them with a soapy rag and pay alot of attention to the guides and reel seat areas they seem to rust/corrode first.
6) I would get an intermediate line before a floater for the surf i use an intermediate 9wt 98% of the time. I also use a nine weight 98% of the time. The 9wt is very well suited for the wind you will encounter in the area, an 8wt can be tough on windy days