View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st time fly fishing salt need some help guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
. Frankly, I'm a bit cheap, so I've bought lines that are not sold for saltwater, yet for the fishing I do, where casting distance is not a big issue, they work fine. Most of the time I'm casting within 50 ft of my position. Still, I like WF lines that have a good, heavy front taper, such as those sold as Bass, Striper or Tarpon lines. There are differences, but I've yet to see that it has made any difference for the fishing I do. It's when you start to get into the casting distances over that 50 ft mark, that the line design really is an issue. Of course, the rod & line have to work well together too.

Stay away from level or DT lines in the salt, as they really are not what you want with big flies.
Not to confuse things, but I used to use a DT10F line in the surf. There's an advantage to the long distance mending that a line like that can handle. I don't have one now but if I did, I'd use it.

What I do use is a regular WF line that I've cut the level tip off of just before the start of the front taper. About 8 inches
By doing this you're moving the "weight" of the "weight forward", forward making it more like a line designed as a saltwater or bass taper.... without the added expense of a "specialty" line.