View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st time fly fishing salt need some help guys.

Angelo you have gotten excellent advice from Jim, bigjim and Riptide. The only thing I can add has to do with where you fish and your familiarity with the fishing there. Have you fished this area with spinning or conventional gear? What kinda of casts did you need to reach productive water? What do you generally catch there , are they school size fish or are they hogs? Are they feeding on small crustaceans or are they chasing adult bunker? Is it a flat bay area or is it heavy surf? Are you shore or boat fishing?
All these questions will help determine what kind of setup you need to fish there more successfully.
For example I may use a 10/11 wt with wf floating line in the south shore surf and then a 7/8 wt on flat north shore. On a boat at Montauk 9/10 wt with a shooting head for quick casts but in the surf something diffrent all together.
All around I like a 9 wt with a wf line but that's my preference you have to figure out what you need for your situation!

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Just a point when I started fishing in salt with a fly I was a kid. I had a Wonderrod and a Pfleuger Medalist with level floating line. The only flys were just plain white bucktails and I did fine with cocktail blues , school stripers , small weakfish and the occasional fluke!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser