Thread: Koolaid dying
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Koolaid dying

Well I tried the cold method of dying the rabbit. The hair took the dye alot less well than the leather did. Interestingly, it did not kill the leather nearly as bad as it did the regular method of Koolaid Dying. I did a 1/4" wide zonker strip about 6" long and a crosscut piece about the same length. It killed about the first inch and a half of the zonker and most of the crosscut, but this is the best I have ever had leather come out in any method. I just soaked it in cold water and worked the leather and it feels fine when wet, so I'll see what it does after a good leather rinse.

I'm working on a fly right now where I have had to dye a whole lot of stuff. not all the same colors either. In doing this I realized I should have mentioned one other thing. It dyes your skin really well on contact.