Thread: Abel Reels
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Abel Reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Porches and Ferrari are surely spectacular super luxury items. A D4 may well be a necessity if you were a professional sports photog, though a bit heavy and cumbersome to take astream. If, however, you are a bonefisher expending the bucks to travel to the Bahamas for example, then you NEED a reel reliable and maintainable in any environment, with a perfect aspect ratio, salt and marle proof, powerful and quadrupole redundant drag (2 dogs with 2 springs each when one will do) designed and intended to provide 2 lifetimes of reliable and pleasurable high performance use...then you really only have a very small number of reels to choose from and Abel, which offers more fine tunable selection and options than also excellent Tibor may well be a necessity. Yes, I am fishing several very good sealed drag reels bonefishing but I would never venture to a destination without bringing a cork, draw-bar reel too. If something were to go awry with a sealed drag, unlikely as that may be, you can do nothing about it in the field. An Abel can be field striped with no tools other than a dime to loosen the lock nut.

I agree. But when trout fishing even some of the best waters of the West where you might hook into a 5 lbs brown or rainbow, is a $450 trout reel necessary? Heck no. It is a luxury item. If you can afford it, super, I have no problem and I'm sure it is the sweetest trout reel you can get, but it is a luxury.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface film View Post
Regarding the nippers...

I have owned fishpond, orvis and many other brands nippers...

I never found a pair that would last an entire year, fishponds were the best, but I had rust issues with them...

So I purchased a set of the standard Abel nippers, for $50 or whatever they cost. Bar none, worth every penny, they cut everything from 100 pound braid to 40 pound fluoro to 7X tippet and still look and function like brand new. I have no doubt, 5 years from now, they will still be going strong, to me, they are worth the cost, but that's simply my opinion.
They better last a lot longer than 5 years to get your money out of them! If I go through $4.50 nipper every year for next 10 I'm still ahead.