Thread: Abel Reels
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM

surface film is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Abel Reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I agree. But when trout fishing even some of the best waters of the West where you might hook into a 5 lbs brown or rainbow, is a $450 trout reel necessary? Heck no. It is a luxury item. If you can afford it, super, I have no problem and I'm sure it is the sweetest trout reel you can get, but it is a luxury.

Oh for sure, I definitely agree, many many $100 reels out there that 99% of the time would work just as good.

I still have an old Pflueger reel that my Grandpa gave me when I was a much younger lad, the old school kind where you pull the lever and it automatically winds in the line, caught my first fish on the fly with it, I still use it today every once in a while, for Trout, I have never felt like I was under-gunned with it in comparison to say my Abel.

However, I do love my Abel and don't regret its purchase one bit.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I agree. But when trout fishing even some of the best waters of the West where you might hook into a 5 lbs brown or rainbow, is a $450 trout reel necessary? Heck no. It is a luxury item. If you can afford it, super, I have no problem and I'm sure it is the sweetest trout reel you can get, but it is a luxury.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

They better last a lot longer than 5 years to get your money out of them! If I go through $4.50 nipper every year for next 10 I'm still ahead.
I cut a lot of braid with my nippers "don't just fly fish" and the cheaper nippers would dull in just a few days for me, if I didn't cut a lot of braid, I would use cheaper ones.

In that aspect, they are superior.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach