Thread: Abel Reels
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Abel Reels

I mostly use the standard Orvis or Dr.Slick, etc. nipper with the pin in the "U" on the upper end...and they work fine. Really, no complaints and I have them strategically placed everywhere. But I received a gift of Abel Nippers, in Brook Trout finish no less. This is a piece of equipment. A certain positive, precision feel when you cut whatever diameter material you are working with. Perhaps not a necessity but a true pleasure to use and the exchangeable cutting blades are replaceable forever.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

[QUOTE=dean_mt;513001]But when trout fishing even some of the best waters of the West where you might hook into a 5 lbs brown or rainbow, is a $450 trout reel necessary? Heck no. It is a luxury item. If you can afford it, super, I have no problem and I'm sure it is the sweetest trout reel you can get, but it is a luxury.[COLOR="Silver"]

When trout fishing on big fish rivers like Montana's Missouri, I am still fishing 3 - 6X tippets so the amount of drag I can set a reel remains fairly light. So the stopping power of an Abel is only incrementally usable. Its low inertial start up and smoothness are used though as is its considerable aesthetic chrm. However, a lesser reel fills the trout fishing niche admirably as long as it's drag design permits linear fine tunablity, consistent drag setting and correct aspect ratio. Heck, I am almost talking myself in the Abel!