View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do my clousers look?

Generally, as the others have said, they look good & will get eaten by most anything you toss them at. But, I'm going to nit pick too a little.

Below are a couple I tied. Notice how the front is made, with the material extending past the eyes, and the thread wraps are at the very front against the hook eye. They are not wrapped against the barbell eyes at the front of the head. This is how they're shown in Bob Clousers book, and how he ties them. Most that you'll see in catalogs are tied with the thread wrapped against the barbells or whatever type eyes are used (bead chain sometimes). This is not to say, it's wrong, but first, it takes less thread wraps to complete the fly, and second, it produces a different profile look.

Either way will catch fish, but my point here is that you can get a different look to the same fly with this one tiny detail. I don't think you can go wrong doing what the originator of the fly does either!

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's the front cover of the book "Clouser's Flies"! Notice the head?
Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!