View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do my clousers look?

That's one of the beautiful things about this forum. You will find super helpful people with experience to share on virtually every aspect of fly fishing. Just a couple of additional thoughts to share.

I posted the link to Bob Clouser's video so that you can see how he does it. Obviously it's a proven pattern and I did that intentionally so you can see how he does it for perspective. When I am tying a new to me pattern, I usually like to see the "traditional" way a pattern is tied. Then once I get comfortable with the pattern, I may tweak it.

Don't be afraid to experiment with different materials and techniques when you are tying flies--the Clouser or any other method. Sometimes it's those subtle tweaks you make that are all the difference in the world for the places you fish. Honestly, that's one of the coolest things about tying. I can tie patterns that I know work that you just can't find online or in a fly shop. I find this very rewarding to hand those off to people and watch them land fish, not to mention land some myself.

I've been tying for 13 years or so now and am constantly learning from the folks here, tying videos, instructional seminars, etc. There are so many layers to fly fishing, tying is one of them with so many layers itself. Stick with it and keep up the good tying!

Last edited by jaybo41; 01-05-2013 at 09:28 AM.