View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walleye patterns

Welcome to the forum and you definately came to the right place. Are you fishing rivers or lakes?

The best flies are probably Clousers in either case. If you fish the lakes for them, you can get them sometimes on things like nymphs and big dry flies. Even then you are probably better off using Clousers and Leech patterns. I had Walleyes hitting baitfish in the dark on the surface in the dark. I used some minnow patterns that stayed really shallow and that stayed right on top.
Click the image to open in full size.

Do you ever fish for them in the dark there? I tie a lot of Walleye flies with glow in the dark flashabou.
I have also found that a lot of what conventional walleye fishermen think Walleye do is not entirely right. Some of it completely wrong. Most will tell you suspended Walleye don't bite. That's not true at all. I have caught them from the bottom to the top and the entire water column in between. That whole myth that they go deep in the summer is wrong also. I have caught them from ice out to freeze up in shallow water. It helps to be able to fish deep though because you do get fish deep also.

Anyway, there's a lot to fly fishing Walleye. I'm happy to share any thing I've learned with you. This should be at least a start.