View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default How do you tie a "folded feather"?

I have become a little fascinated with streamers ever since Ard started the discussion about the Nine-Three a few months back. Those type of old-fashioned-like streamers intimidate me a little both to tie as well as to fish--probably because I am not so good at either one of those activities!

I thought I would get my feet wet tying this fly:

Classic Trout Fly Fishing: Streamers: JB Hackle

It is about as simplistic as you can get but I do not understand this step:

Wings: Large Mallard Flank Feather tied folded two times length of hook.

The way I look at the picture, it truly looks like the feather is folded in half, almost like a piece of paper. But whenever I tie it, it doesn't totally fold. It is convex (concave?) and it looks like it will float on top of the water because the feather opens up like an umbrella.

What am I doing wrong? I even tried to tie two mallard feathers together on the side of the hook but then i needed to use two small hackle feathers to look like eyes and the durn thing turned out like a bald Hornberg.

ray