View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How do you tie a "folded feather"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt View Post
Sorry it plays for me but yeah look it up on YouTube it should help out, I know it helped me. Good tying and let's see a picture of a finished streamer when you get to that point?
It plays for me outside the forum. But I have an ancient PC that is so screwed up that I cannot update any software on it anymore, so that is probably the reason.

I will try to get some pictures. I am not so good with a camera and my camera sort of stinks but I will try to get a picture up.

Quote:
One trick in getting them right is how you get the first wraps of thread on. If you hold them in place with one hand, finger and thumb over the head, then holding light pressure on the feather, kind of sneak the thread into where you are pinching it. Then go over the top and sneak it into the other side. While holding pressure on the feather, slowly tighten the thread. It helps to make this wrap as far back as the head will go so subsequent wraps don't roll the wings.

I wouldn't worry about it floating the fly. Once it has been cast a few times that feather will be more hair-like and won't hold air.
Dan,

I tried to do that. Maybe it is because I stripped it and tied it onto the hook using the quill, mostly, and tied just a little bit of the feather, um, things (whatever individual feathers are called). Maybe I need to NOT strip the feather first? I think the extra bulk will help my heads because they seem too small.

Oh, and even though it doesn't look like it, would a little Sally Hansen's on the head help? I snuck some from my wife's stash yesterday and used it for the first time on a few flies and I really like how thick and smooth and shiny the results were.

But maybe not every head should have this stuff on it. (That doesn't really sound quite right.... )