View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you tie a "folded feather"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
I tried to do that. Maybe it is because I stripped it and tied it onto the hook using the quill, mostly, and tied just a little bit of the feather, um, things (whatever individual feathers are called). Maybe I need to NOT strip the feather first? I think the extra bulk will help my heads because they seem too small.

Oh, and even though it doesn't look like it, would a little Sally Hansen's on the head help? I snuck some from my wife's stash yesterday and used it for the first time on a few flies and I really like how thick and smooth and shiny the results were.

)
Maybe strip the quill to just where the eye of the hook will go. Fold the feather right along the center shaft which should be about as thick as a barb out there.

I was thinking, you could do it like it was done in the video, and do the first wraps towards the eye of the hook. Then pull the fibers up dividing them with the hook shank and then while holding the fibers up wrap back and trap them more upright and divided and get pretty much the same effect. Try both and see which gives you the look you want.

Small heads don't hurt anything and you can always build them up with thread till they look right to you. I also use Sally Hansen's hard as nails and have for a really long time. It's the only thing I use unless it's a Pike Fly and then I use 5 min. epoxy. Resists teeth better.