Thread: 2013 Goals...
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2013 Goals...

All my life I fished, either from shore or from a canoe with my Uncle, for warmwater species. Last year my Uncle got an inflatable pontoon boat, me a kayak. We have been enjoying more freedom of movement, and for me also finally the ability to actually use my cheap Pflueger fly rod I got years ago that is kind of wearing out. This Christmas I got completely set up with a 5 weight and 3 weight fly rod. This year I plan to expand my fishing much more with the fly rod and less with the spinning and bait casting rigs (to the point I hope to mostly just use the fly rods.) I want to try and hook myself into my first "decent" sized bass on the fly rod (to date my biggest on the fly road was about the size of a small perch, so there is plenty of room for improvement )

I also would like to start trying to get out occasinally and try for a species I know virtually little about......trout (yup, this may sound odd on a fly fishing forum, but I have only ever caught 3 trout in my life, all three on ice fishing traps ). This will probably be tough since I don't know any fly fishing trout guys except one, my friend, who also admits he is pretty much a big "noob" to both fly fishing and trout.

Also I want to learn to tie a few different flies and then try to actually catch fish with them.