View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Still a long ways off but getting closer everyday

A big thanks to everyone's encouragement and making this pretty fun! I suffered through a long hot night keeping the heat up way past my comfort level to keep the varnish from getting that orange peel look to it. This morning it looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
And I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one a less than ideal "rod turning shop" space!
I hear ya there! Thankfully Ma can't get around too well so she hasn't seen what's been going on in her living room! I had a work shop set up but since I have to be here most of the time I set up my fly tying area, my forms and have since started planing strips down to 60 to get ready for yet another 4wt. I think the cane chip compliments the feather bits and deer hair trimming quite nicely! I don't think she'll appreciate the rustic decor! By the time I can get the rod to the stream, maybe another 4 weeks, I'll know all the vanish has had really good cure time and the rod will have reached stasis. Meaning any slow sweeps or bends will have shown themselves and been dealt with and its 100% fish ready. So if you guys ever get the urge to buy a cane rod and which ever maker you choose gives you a long wait period, thats the cause. The actual build time is relatively quick but its waiting for the dip finish to dry and everything thing to finally cure is where the wait comes from. I learned from my teacher that some makers will wait up to two months after dipping before they even start thinking about wrapping the guides as its easier to sight and straighten the sweeps that inevitably come back. Its a natural material and its hard to "tame" nature.