View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Custom fly reel handles?

I got a Venelli Nickle/Silver hardware, Cherry crotch seat I'm saving for the right rod. I did a Brazilian Rosewood Burl insert for a rod I did for a friend. That was one of the prettiest pieces of wood I ever saw. I promised it to him before I turned it or I might have put it on a rod for myself. The reason I said to use stabilized wood is that it will be small and your wet fingers on it all the time. When they are stabilized they are as much plastic as wood and you don't have problems like swelling when they are wet or the humidity is high, split along the grain first time you crank it hard or bang it. It's good stuff and you can get it in a lot of woods. Burls are something you can get in stabilized form. There is even a company that will stabilize your wood for you. It's not cheap to have done though and you can't just send them a handle sized piece to do. The best thing for a small project like that is a pen blank. In fact the best person to turn it for you is a guy who does pens. They have the small mandrels you need. I have the stuff to turn seat inserts and make you a really nice table leg but I'd have to buy a smaller mandrel to turn a handle that or turn it on a live center with the hole in it on a bigger piece..... It could be done, but I'd find a pen guy.
Click the image to open in full size.