View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 10:29 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Fast Rivers and "Go To" flies and technique

Hi,

As some of you know I fish the Truckee River, which is a fast freestone river with flows that can range from a couple hundred SCFM to 6 or 700 scfm.

When the river is in its slow periods in the summer and the hatches are going off dry flies or tandem rigs of dries and emergers seem to be the flies to use. right now, the river is flowing at around 400 scfm right now, and fishing seams and slow water with small nymphs under an indicator and swinging streamers is what the folks at the Reno fly shop are saying is best.

Now, I took last week off work cause my son was in town, and got to fish 4 times over the last week or so. I hit fish on two of the 4 days, one on a dry and one on a copper john. Yesterday, fishing the same spot I hooked up on a couple days ago with a copper john, I had no hits on a copper john, no hits on a GRHE, and no hits on Joni's wet fly pattern (black bead head and hot pink floss with a brown soft hackle). nada, no interest 2 hours of fishing seams and nothing.

I changed, sizes, indicator depth, made sure I was ticking the bottom, moved up and down about 100 yards of river, but no dice. Weather was fine, started out at around 40 degress and was about 55 when I quit no wind, nice and sunny.

So, here is the question, when you folks find yourselves in this type of situation,

what is your "go to" fly (Nymph? or Streamer? or Dry?) for situations like this and what is your "go to" technique for finding fish when nothing seems to be working?

Thanks for any help, advice, etc you might be willing to add to this thread.

Dave