View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Davidson and blue lines in WNC.

The Davidson gets hit harder than a lot of other streams so the trout are 'educated"- at least in the fly fishing only section. Downstream they stock the river and there is no reason you can't fish flies there- just wade up or down stream from the pull off sections along the road- you'll get into areas less fished. There are a lot of fly fishing experts up around the hatchery but with all due respect I think some of those guys just want to spend a day making perfect fly line casts. As a newbie- you might do better farther downstream.
On the flies, if you are new I would recommend dry flies because you can see the fly and know what is happening. I like the Thunderhead simply because it is local. On hook size-#12 and #14 are good. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and a #18 BWO- I can't see it half the time. Some patterns I like: tan elk hair caddis with green body, yellow stimulator, Parachute Adams, Royal Wulff, Black Ant. Use a 5x tapered leader. Have some 6x and 7 x tippet material and if you need to you can turn a 9' 5x into a 10 1/2' 6x. I also like Emerger patterns that float in the film or just under the surface. On subsurface flies you can drop down to #16.
Finally, the magic ingredient is PERSISTENCE. Be quiet, don't rip the line off the water to make a back cast. Spend some time looking over the water before fishing it.
There is an old book called TROUT by Ray Bergman. All the information about tackle is outdated but reading that book is the closest thing I know to having a guide show you things. Old Ray wrote a lot about how he approached different situations and fished particular areas. That is invaluable information that is never covered these days. The whole thing today is the notion that spending a lot of equipment will make up for angler savy.