Thread: Weights?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
..... the only thing i could think of is fish eating the shot?
Actually it's birds eating the shot. They eat it like they do small gravel for their gizzard.

Another idea is to use Ard's chunk of T-whatever with loops on the ends inline in the leader. I made a couple of them up and they work really well. It also has the benefit of not ever coming off unless you loose the whole leader. Even then it's not lead and not gravel like so the bird's will be fine.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Canada estimates 500 tons of lost or discarded lead is deposited in its waters every year.
We did a study here and I think it illustrates the problem with that number. We asked if anyone lost ANYTHING in the water while fishing. Right away they started answering with lines like "No, but I got something back". It was surprising the amount of stuff that is lost and then recovered. The majority of lead that was lost here was inline weights used in drifting spinner rigs. When they are lost the spinner rig remains attached to the lead. People drifting hook them and they are retrieved very often. Based on what they say about 500 tons, I would bet that half is recovered. I still have all the raw data for that study and should work something up. Furthermore, I seriously doubt that a very large percentage of it is shot and that is the problem lead, but again mostly in being lost shallow where birds get it. There is also in the 500 ton estimate a lot of water they downrig in. It does take a lot of 8lbdownrigger balls to make a pretty fair chunk in that 500 tons. I would be seriously scared of the bird that wants that for it's gizzard.

On a side note, you would be surprised the number of cell phones that go in the drink every year.

Last edited by Guest1; 01-10-2013 at 03:29 AM. Reason: missed a word