View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My real rod weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Sage describes the TCX series as one that "redefines the extreme distance category in rods". A quick look at the ERN chart over at Sexy Loops shows the 590 TCX has an ERN of 7.10, .
That's so the rod loads right when you have a seriously long carry. Like 80'+ line in the air. The problem with that is some guy who wants to put a 5 wt line on it and cast 40 feet is going to hate it. A gut trying to bust 100' will love it. Most people just see 5 wt. and think it's a 5 wt. It isn't.I may be misremembering this but I think Bill likes a 7.5 ERN or so for casting a 5 wt line for distance. That's why they do this. It would make life easier on everyone if the put the ERN on the rod instead of what they want you to think it is, but as I said, this is a lot to do with marketing.

Actually that line thing is another one. A line is rated by the weight of the first 30' but the heads can be any length they want. I have a Barrio on my Flying Pig that has a head that like 72 or 74 feet long. How much do you think that first 30 matter once you start to carry the whole head? How does it relate to a line with a 40 foot head? It would make everyones life easier with that also if they just put the line weight like they do followed by the total head weight and length. Names like Titan and Clouser etc. do nothing to tell you what the head really is. Again, the industry standard is not really a standard.