View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: advice on salt water gear

IMO, what you buy/use will depend on where you intend to fish most of the time and how much you're willing to spend. I use different set-ups, from a 6 wt to a 10 wt, but I'm fishing primarily tidal creeks & rivers, with occasional trips out into the Chesapeake Bay. This is really brackish water & not that salty. When I'm targeting larger Stripers, which for me has been anything from 18" up to 30", I'll use a 9 or 10 wt most. This is because of wind & the size flies I like to throw. I've caught hundreds of Striper's over the years, but have yet to land one over 30" on a fly. But, I'm OK with that!

I agree with Rip Tide about the reel. For those species, it's not necessary to buy anything special. I use Okuma Integrity reels, which have worked well for me. On my 6 wt is one of the original Lamson LP2 reels (pre-Waterworks), that I also use for LM bass fishing in fresh & tidal rivers. I've landed 30" Striper's with it.

However, if I was spending more time in true saltwater, I would likely want a more corrosion resistant reel and agree the Lamson's would be a good choice.

I've become very fond of TFO rods, but also have a couple of Redington's. TFO are very good rods IMO particularly for the price.

I have fished on the SC coast with what I have, but not extensively. So, what I use for the brackish water has been fine for the occasional trips to "real" saltwater too.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!