View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8WT Rod Suggestion

Just a couple of thoughts here.

In addition to a two handed rod, you may also need to add a reel to balance it and to hold the extra line that would go on it so it might be more of an expense than you have considered. Perhaps you have a larger reel or perhaps you've already given this consideration. Just putting that out there.

The other thing is, have you cast a two hander before? If not, I might suggest doing so before making that commitment. Personally, I find it fun, but others seem to prefer single handed rods. Also, you can do many of the casts with a single hander that you would do with a two hander if you have the right line on it.

Can you tell us a general locale of where you're fishing and what type of body of water--rivers/streams or lakes/ponds? What size flies you typically throw for each species? Do you intend to use this more for bass or steelhead/salmon?

I own a switch rod and have cast it with two hands as well as single hand. It is on the light side as is the reel paired with it and I certainly prefer casting my single hand rod if I'm nymphing for steelhead because it is much lighter. The only distinct advantage of my switch for nymphing is that it's an extra foot longer AND I can cover more water with it. There are probably just a few spots on the streams I fish where covering more water really comes into play. I can cover 90% of that water with my single hand rod. The switch is just something different to play with and fun for me. I might err on the side of caution here and recommend a single hander to cover your bases FIRST. Then add a switch--then again the answers to the questions I've asked might cause me to rethink this recommendation.