View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Advice about some 3 wt?

So I'm considering upgrading my 3 wt. this year (I currently use a Cabela's Three Forks 7' 6" 3 wt.). I've done some research, and I think I've narrowed it down to these rods: St. Croix Avid, Winston Passport, Echo Carbon, Winston GVX, And one other one I can't remember the name of right now. The characteristics I want are as follows: 7' 9" to 8 ft., medium/progressive action, under $250.00 ( I know, the GVX is around $300, but if I test drive it and like it, AND it's 8 ft. I might stretch my limit). I'm going to test drive these rods and a few others, as I'm in no rush to upgrade; just want to see if I can find my 'perfect' 3 wt, so to speak.

Also, does anyone have another suggestion that I might have overlooked?

This is to be a dryfly only rod, for fishing a couple creeks I visit, where the 7' 6" Three Forks is just a touch short. I want that medium fast/progressive action so I can load the rod with only about three feet of line out of the tip, but also be able to haul a 40 ft. cast when necessary. Also, the extra length would come in handy when I fish the thing from a tube.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your responses.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark