View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 PM

rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of
Default Advice about some 3 wt?

So I'm considering upgrading my 3 wt. this year (I currently use a Cabela's Three Forks 7' 6" 3 wt.). I've done some research, and I think I've narrowed it down to these rods: St. Croix Avid, Winston Passport, Echo Carbon, Winston GVX, And one other one I can't remember the name of right now. The characteristics I want are as follows: 7' 9" to 8 ft., medium/progressive action, under $250.00 ( I know, the GVX is around $300, but if I test drive it and like it, AND it's 8 ft. I might stretch my limit). I'm going to test drive these rods and a few others, as I'm in no rush to upgrade; just want to see if I can find my 'perfect' 3 wt, so to speak.

Also, does anyone have another suggestion that I might have overlooked?

This is to be a dryfly only rod, for fishing a couple creeks I visit, where the 7' 6" Three Forks is just a touch short. I want that medium fast/progressive action so I can load the rod with only about three feet of line out of the tip, but also be able to haul a 40 ft. cast when necessary. Also, the extra length would come in handy when I fish the thing from a tube.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your responses.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark