View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips For Buying Used Rods;

I was looking at a used Sage, and the warranty card had already been sent in. I called Sage, and asked how much they would charge for a new tip section if I broke it. They said $150 w/o a warranty. With a warranty, they still charge $50, so if the price is right, you might be getting a deal (especially if it's a discontinued rod and not available new). I've only broken one rod in 35 years, and that was in a truck door (18 yrs old, and no case ).

As far as ebay, I'd look at the person's feedback, as well as the other items they're selling. I've seen sellers with a feedback score in the thousands, but they're mostly selling plates and salt shakers. If a seller is mostly selling fly fishing gear, I'd feel much more comfortable.

A strong light and a magnifying lens should be used once you receive the rod, and run along every inch of the rod. That's what I do with new rods. You never know....

P.S. Ard Wrote:
One more thing, do not get caught up in bidding when the price is spiraling upward. Know what the rod is worth and stop there.
I found myself doing that a couple of times, determined to win at any cost. I have a max amount now, and won't go a dime higher. I don't buy collectible gear, and the stuff I'm looking for comes along regularly.