View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Good start for 2013

Thanks, Larry, Boz and Ditz, but it was purely a matter of luck, Larry, and that the rod was way bigger than normal for a small fish. I'd never fished for the baby tarpon off the dock before because there is no way to keep them out from under it. I just checked my fly line and it's fine, although the leader is abraided pretty bad from the fly to about 7 feet up. That reel had straight 60lb fluoro leader on it.

But I wanted to try that little popper that I tied at a tying course given by a guy up at Harry Goode's fly shop up in Melbourne last summer which has been sitting in a coffee holder in the van ever since. From watching baby tarpon feeding over the years, I've noticed that when there are glass minnows up on the surface, there are usually a few that will chug along, seeming to gulp air on the surface every 3 or 4 inches or so. And it is those ones doing that which the little tarpon come up for. They come up and turn sideways just before eating them, then go back down. So I was just stripping in 3-4" jerks - like with a gurgler - but this popper looks a lot more like a glass minnow than whatever gurglers are supposed to look like.

Another good thing happened yesterday. Wayne came over and said his wife had just called to tell him there was a brand new Great White (Saltwater) transom mount, 12 volt motor guide at a yard sale with a $100 sticker on it. The Feds have shut down the boat ramp on a great bass canal 30 miles north of us, but that electric motor will push my little 12' tin boat just fine. The outboard is too heavy to drag over the fence but the electric will work fine.

So we headed down there and it was the owner of the former Islamorada Outfitters store. He took an $80 offer - transom mounts are not in much demand here. Linda's weekend yard sale hobby has been really good for Wayne and me both. I'm typing on a $10 table she found for me. He's made a lot of money buying old bass plugs through her weekend jaunts.

Hopefully, the remainder of the year will continue to be a good one.