Thread: Scud hooks
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scud hooks

Wide gap hooks are what I prefer for scud patterns so you're in business there. Most of my scuds are tied on #14-#18 but it never hurts to have something a little larger. If a #12 wide gap scud hook is what you've got then tie a few up and see what you think.

If you go thin with the body material it could end up looking like a slightly larger scud. If you go thicker, it may end up looking more like a grub of some sort. Neither of which are bad things so long as the trout like them.

When I'm tying, I will usually crank out 12 at a time. The first three is where I'm usually getting the pattern dialed in. If 12 seems daunting, try doing 6 and 6 in another sitting. It's this repetitiveness that I believe helps me tie a better fly for the given pattern I'm working on.

Post some photos after you've got a few done.