View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:50 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
As a follow-up om my comments in the "How to Adjust a Pawl and Spring" thread, here is my Orvis Presentation EXR IV. Made by STH in Junin de los Andes in the heart of Argentine Patagonia, right on the banks of the famed Rio Chimuehuin, these reels along with their SSS cork disc drag big brothers were imported by Orvis starting in the mid to late 1980's. Very well machined and crafted, EXR featured a robust variation of the classic Hardy leaf spring check. By employing dual pawls that could be set individually or in tandem which were adjustable via a machined lever attached to a brace of long coil springs, more than the normal anti-over run check resistance could be applied. This system bordered on a drag, particularly considering its design was intended for relatively light tippet trout fishing. Of course the Chimuehuin and other Patagonian rivers are noted for some very large trout grown on a diet of not only insects but the prolific abundance of Pancora, a crayfish-like crustacean, so stout tackle is popular among Argentine anglers. A design characteristic that has sent mine to Orvis's stellar reel repair department is the complexity of the spring loaded ball embedded in the stainless steel spindle casing forming the spool lock/release mechanism. Keeping it well lubricated with light reel oil should preclude failure and I was guilty of using a too viscus Teflon type lubricant. Here then, in deference to the great St. George and Perfect, is what may be the ultimate non-Hardy spring and pawl trout reel.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
What is the vintage on these reels - how long did they make them? Never seen one before or knew Orvis had reels come out of Argentina.