View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Great Lakes 'running out of water?' Interesting read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface film View Post
Here in the Port of St. Joseph, LaFarge is likely going to totally close their plant down due to the fact they can't get their ships into port full any longer.

At least here, it's not so much lake levels, Lake Michigan is less than 50' off my back deck and it is on average the same as it has been for 10 years and I know until a couple years ago there wasn't any issues getting ships in the port full, incredibly high flow rates LAST Winter in the St. Joseph River brought down HUGE amounts of sediment though and has really made navigating the port difficult.

Here is a photo of what the Joe looked like all last Winter.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YlFeP-t1Ef...26498547_o.jpg

Obviously it was high to say the least...
I grew up in St. Joe! Used to fish for smallies next to the LaFarge plant, my buddies dad ran it. My folks are still in the area and kind of freaked out about the lack of winter.