View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mako Shark on the fly

Great video. I'd love to get one of them on.

The reel the guy in the small center console was using is a Tibor spooled with a Rio Leviathan WFF, 550 grain head. I'm pretty sure it's a Gulfstream but could be the Pacific if he has huge hands.

As for weight, my older Gulfstream with the Rio Leviathan line (some running line cut off) and 500 yds of 65 lb hollow spectra weighs in at a bit over 16 oz.

I actually blind cast with mine a lot for extended periods (using a 12 wt line on that reel), and it's not something you want to jump into without working up to it, or it will almost ceretainly ruin the rest of your trip. But it is not so much the weight of the reel or the rod, but the weight of the line out there 9 feet from your hand that is the killer.

Makos here are too scarce to bother with. My hope is to get into the thick of the spinner shark migration one of these years. They migrate south right along S. Florida beaches by the thousands and they average just over 100 lbs. They are easy to hook but difficult to catch because they wrap the line around themselves when they jump.

Here's an aerial view from a chopper off West Palm Beach (like 100 yds off the beach). Each dot is either a spinner or a blacktip. Most are spinners.

Here's a blurry video of how they jump. Looks like about 4 complete revolutions in this jump.