View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 06:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting for Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Fred: Good idea, I might do that. This past summer on the horse pack trip into the Winds I gave two older well used Orvis 5 wt rods (I think they were HLS models) to two 16 year olds. Neither kid had fly fished before, but after a short casting demo they took to it like ducks in water and had a blast catching cutties on those high mtn lakes. At the end of the trip I gave each of them a fly rod. I wanted to take them on a float trip on the Green later in the summer but with the drought the water in the river really dropped so we didn't get out, but I'm going to try and get them on the water this year for sure.

Larry
All be it years ago, been there, done that on the Chetco River in SW Oregon. You feel 'eyes' on the back of your head and there's the father with two (almost) teenage sons. For context here, had my (and ex-wife's) second home in Brookings, Oregon. Week trips (we both had a months vacation) and would spend at least a couple of weeks there as well as 'long' weekends.

Back to page one.

Reel in and Adult type and his two boys were watching me cast and 'What kind of rods are those?????' Talked about spey casting, how the rods worked, adaaa-yadda. "Would you like to learn how?"

Eyes the size of dinner plates.

Had an extra set of waders/boots in the 4x4 so those went on the Father. Joan's gear on one of the boys and into the river we went. Father was a total natural with the Sage 149'er, the Lad with the 7136-4. Father was actually hanging the fly into the trees across the river. I kid you not.

That was a Friday afternoon. Saturday we meet up again, second Laddie has waders; other was loaded back into Joan's. Ditto Sunday morning.

Alright Guys, I have business I have to attend to for a few hours so keep casting the rods, I'll come back and collect them later. Truth be told, we had to head home. Didn't come back. Understand they contacted the RV park for .. and the RV park was under strict instructions 'I've no idea who you're talking about.' Folks in the front office were aware.

I hope they got good use out of that equipment. Purchased a 'new/aged like a good wine' 7136-4 and I understand why I loved that rod so much. With one of Steve's lines on this thing (no idea what the original might have been) you could cast this stick with a bag over your head. You don't need to see, you just need to 'feel,' the flow of the rod, the, the, the.

Like the expired Sage (no longer building same?) 7100-4 XP single hander. Will I ever drop $800.00 to find out they did it better? Probably not.

The last reel I purchased (save for SpeyCo!) was an old Hardy that may well be close to my age. Condition? "Perfect," pun intended.

fae