View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 PM

muzz flaco will become famous soon enough
Default Kung Fu Sabbatical 13

Fair warning, this could be a midlife crisis unfolding.

A year ago, on my 13th work anniversary I came to the conclusion that I needed a change-up. I thought about quitting my job and walking the Old West from town to town solving local scofflaw issues with Kung-Fu. What I needed was another year to save some money and learn Kung-Fu. Here we are a year later, Iíve given my employer 2 monthsí notice, and Iím out of here late March.

As it turns out, I didnít save as much as planned and failed to learn any Kung Fu whatsoever. New plan: Iím going fly fishing. Iím going to sell or give away whatís not nailed down, pack my gear, and hit the road. With a no frills budget, I can make it maybe 9-12 months before I have to figure out a new career. Camping and fishing for a week or so at a time, then head back to whatever town and cheap motel is nearby for a cleanup and supplies. I donít have an itinerary, just going to follow the fish.

I picked up fly fishing 5 years ago, my first real trip was to the White mountains. I was addicted; itís the only way to mix fishing and (ADHD). After that, I rearranged my life to get in 40-60 days a year on the water. Excluding one salmon fishing trip to Yakutat, Alaska and a week in southern Utah, Iíve been spending almost all of my time fishing the Mogollon Rim and White Mountains of AZ. For my sabbatical, Iím very interested in fishing moving water, but still plan on bringing my float tube. I have a capable 4x4 and Iím in good shape. That said, I donít own any rappelling gear and Iíd rather not free-climb any frozen waterfalls. No Bear Grylls B.S. for me.

Too much water not enough time and money. Unfortunately I canít cross off the entire ď1000 places to fish before you dieĒ list on this particular adventure. While keeping my options open, I feel that Iíd like to focus or at least start the fly fishing sabbatical out West. Iím thinking UT, CO, ID, MT, WY, NV, and possibly B.C. would be a good start.

What I do need is some direction. Iím not looking for anyoneís honey hole, but a state, river or lake, and a time of year would be greatly appreciated. What was your best trip? What is the trip you always wanted to go on? What should I start with in April Ďbows, browns, brooks, bulls, cutts, pike, salmon, steelhead?

Iíll post location updates, let me know if youíre in the area and want to go fishing.

Feel free to PM me.

Topics to cover later:

Camping suggestions? Preferably not all pay to stay crowded parking lot campsites, then again, I donít want to go ďCastawayĒ style and start calling my fly rod, ďWilsonĒ.

Gladly accepting all corporate sponsorships! Wrap my 4Runner with your logo for gas cards! Front windshield decal 3x extra. Kind of joking, but not.

Iíd like start a blog or something to send to my chump (working for the man) friends to make them jealous. Facebook, blogspot, website, suggestions

Kung Fu Sabbatical Part II: Belize, New Zealand, Mongolia, Patagonia, Etc.