View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Is The Difference...and Why?

Those who know me here understand that I am not one to stir the pot. I like my forums to be congenial and friendly and I usually avoid discussion conflicts.

That being said, I am not trying to stir something up with this thread, nevertheless, inquiring minds want to know, me being one of them...

So, my question is this: Since most nymph anglers fish to much the same species of fish that Tenkara anglers do - usually trout, what is the difference between "Tenkara" flies and why? If we fish to the same species by putting some sort of food imitation in front of them, enticing them to eat, why is there a definite differentiation between regular trout fishing nymphs and Tenkara fishing nymphs? Aren't we imitating regular aquatic insects with our imitations? Why not use the same imitations? Perhaps tenkara anglers do use the same bugs, but it sure seems like there are a lot of new ties that are specifically called "Tenkara" flies. I also understand the concept of having a more heavily weighted fly involved in tenkara angling, but I do the same when nymph fishing all the time.

Just wondering...

Now, you all know the rules. No debates here regarding who likes what method more and why, or which method is best and why. Just a civil discussion to answer my inquiring mind.

Thanks,

Kelly.