View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reel for 330 grain line?

Can't answer your question specifically, as I'm not sure about the line, but generally reels are rated for capacity with a full length line & a given amount of backing. If that line is larger in diameter than most regular 8 wt fly lines, then it would limit capacity some, but that could be adjusted with less backing. If you feel you need extra backing, then you'll probably be better off with a larger reel.

Also, reel weights vary, so going to a larger reel, which may be heavier, may or may not be a problem. I have a 10 wt with an 11/12 wt reel on it because I wanted a bit more capacity. This is what I use for Striped Bass fishing, and there's the possibility I might encounter other species where the added capacity might be needed. Normally, I could get away with a reel sized for a 10 wt line, but I got the reel at a good price & like to be prepared for anything. The reel is a bit heavy, (Okuma Integrity, relatively inexpensive, but very suitable for the fishing I do.) but balances with my rod quite well, so it's not a problem.

No easy answer to your question, all really depends on your projected needs & of course what you're willing to spend on that reel.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!