View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reel for 330 grain line?

Can't answer your question specifically, as I'm not sure about the line, but generally reels are rated for capacity with a full length line & a given amount of backing. If that line is larger in diameter than most regular 8 wt fly lines, then it would limit capacity some, but that could be adjusted with less backing. If you feel you need extra backing, then you'll probably be better off with a larger reel.

Also, reel weights vary, so going to a larger reel, which may be heavier, may or may not be a problem. I have a 10 wt with an 11/12 wt reel on it because I wanted a bit more capacity. This is what I use for Striped Bass fishing, and there's the possibility I might encounter other species where the added capacity might be needed. Normally, I could get away with a reel sized for a 10 wt line, but I got the reel at a good price & like to be prepared for anything. The reel is a bit heavy, (Okuma Integrity, relatively inexpensive, but very suitable for the fishing I do.) but balances with my rod quite well, so it's not a problem.

No easy answer to your question, all really depends on your projected needs & of course what you're willing to spend on that reel.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!