View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

Chi, Orvis, in its contemporary iteration, has never made reels. Some very fine ones have been produced for them from such notables as Stan Bogdan whose reels were sold via special order through Orvis and, of course, in the late 1970's, he designed venerable CFO for them which in turn was elegantly built by Hardy. Latter, in the 1990's, Orvis designed several fine reels in-house including the draw-bar Odyssey and the first generation, 3-part Vortex that where unique reels built to their specifications. But before them, in the mid 1980's, Orvis wanted to expand their offerings and include more saltwater appropriate models and discovered STH of Junin de los Andes, Argentina. Several joint-project reels followed with the Orvis name engraved upon them including the Saltwater CFO in gold and the similar but black, pawl and spring EXR from #4 through 9-weight lines and the cork against delrin drag surfaced SSS (Salmon Steelhead Saltwater) from #6 through 12-weight sizes. Well engineered and idiosyncratically designed, these reels were machined from aluminum bar stock with brass and stainless steel components. They formed the heart of Orvis's performance fly reels until termination of their agreement, in 1990 for SSS and by 1991 EXR was gone too, when STH went independent and were marketed, under the STH name, by Cortland here in North America. They went on to build the three fish engraved "Grand Slam" that I suspect is something of collectors item now.

I fished this SSS 9-10 on three continents for wild Oregon steelhead and domesticated Great Lakes steelies, Atlantic salmon on both sides of the pond and sea trout in this reel's country of origin. It performed its tasks eloquently and reliably and I have significant sentimental connection to it from a time in my career when I enjoyed considerably more exotic travel opportunity than I do now. In the 1980's we hardly had the plethora of high performance fly reels that we enjoy today so this reel did not have as much competition in my duffel as it would today and saw extensive use until Abel came along.

You learn everything there is to know about a piece of fishing tackle by using it in a lot of different environments over several seasons and an important reel design element I gleaned from SSS is, do not buy a reel whose drag adjustment knob is on the front face of the reel...it belongs on the back.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.