View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all
Default Re: question about furled leaders

dpreller....
I would have answered this sooner, but I have been at various trade shows for the past two weeks. Away from the computer.
your question was..
ok so i think im gonna try some cutthroat leaders but im a little confused. i have used the search function but dont see the answer to my exact question. I do alot of fishing on tail waters finicky fish small flies, 12ft 6 or 7x alot . so im assuming the dry fly leader with 6ft or so of 6 or7x question is since that furled leader is fairly large does it spook fish and second will that long of a tippet turn over and allow me good accuracy seems like it would still not want to turn over and would make the fly kind of drift around and not land right where i want it.my goal is the most drag free drift and to eliminate having to change leaders after adding tippet a couple of times.

When a long 7x tippet is desired, I tell people they should tie on a length of 5x first and then have at least 18-24 of 7x tippet for the last section. 5x and even some 6x can be used when casting long lengths of tippet, but 7x does not have enough mass / material to turn lover very long lengths. I hope that makes sense. Of course standard rules apply, larger / heavier fly equals larger tippet size, so this is a generalization. The fact this system allows to fish a long length of 5x / 7x tippet gives amazing drifts. Please do not hesitate to PM me or send an email through the site.

Thank you,

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com