View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is an 8 wt too much rod for smallmouth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
It may depend on the size of the fish smallies you're going after. I've only been fly fishing for 3 years so someone else might say other wise. I know that yes a heavier wt rod can properly cast bigger bass flies.

Around here (VA) I've been told that a 7wt is the bass rod to use, and a 6wt is the least they'd use. Given that logic you can use the 8wt and use it for larger stuff like carp.
With rare exception our Small Mouth don't get that large (hopefully your mileage will differ) so I just used a 3wt and feather surface flies. Usual hook was a 2x #6.

fae