View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default The next step(s)

I hit a snafu with the reel seat I ordered. After 4 weeks I called Dan Craft and asked and then he called and found out that REC no longer makes the seat I ordered (fine, but why did I have to figure that out?). We got it straightened out and I'm getting the ABGS in black, which is a really nice light seat.

I've got the cork coming as well and I've talked to Diver Dan who will cut down a few rings for me if need be, thanks Dan!

But I was having a couple beers with my buddy tonight. He is a carpenter, woodworker and has a nice shop. I told him about my project and about the drill lathe mount I wanted to build. He's a creative thinking guy and said, "why not use a router? make a plywood mount and just screw the router into it?" It would stand rigid, take a 1/4" chuck and run at variable speed you set it to. I love this idea! I was ready to buy a used drill and construct a mount to hold it. I've not seen anyone use a router as a grip lathe. I'm going to try it!

I digress (I have been drinking and am excited about this router prospect). With the seat and corks and finally on the way, I've shifted to thread wrapping a color. I'm thinking about a two color wrap, black and green together for the guide wraps. A tipping wrap at the ferrule and stripping guide. Any thoughts on the double thread guide wrapping? I know it will difficult at best the closer to the tip. Advice is welcome, this rod has already been shaped by much of your thoughts and advice ... and it hasn't even begun!

I am getting really impatient for my parts!

Last edited by dean_mt; 01-17-2013 at 01:28 AM.