View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Coming back to tying and need materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4a View Post
Do I start by purchasing a base set of materials for the flies I expect to tie most for my area (CO front range and rocky mountains)?

Or do I get only what I need for the first couple of flies I want to tie this week, and build-up materials as needed fly-by-fly?
i tell new tyers to pick out 5-10 patterns they want to tie and buy those materials. these materials will become the building blocks for future patterns.

practice getting those 5-10 patterns the way you like them.

my book recommendation is "the fly tyers benchside reference". there are no patterns in the book but the techniques to be learned is worth the price of the book.

Click the image to open in full size.

another thing to consider is tying lessons. fly shops along the front range (i'm assuming youre in the denver area or nearby) have saturday tying sessions that are free. check out charlies fly shop in arvada.

i took lessons more than 30+ years ago and i ocassionally take a tying lesson now and then. nobody knows everything about fly tying

these are just my opinions and yours will be different.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/