View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Trout Fly Gear Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
7wt? For dry flies? for 12" trout? Geez, I use my 4wt to throw medium size flies, even deer hair divers and poppers to 3-4lb bass with no issue. If you were fishing larger rivers with big trout I would say to go with a 6wt but for small ponds and rivers I prefer my 4wt, a 5wt would be fun too.

I use an 8wt for pike, stripers and albies so I think a 7wt would be way overkill in this situation. WAY overkill.
It's not the fact that a light rod is not a nice thing to have but I do fish with buddies who have 4 and 5 weight rods and they are always very disappointed when it comes to go fishing with me. As soon as it gets a bit breezy, they lose all control and distance when compared to my 7 weight outfit.

Yes....I will someday buy a lighter rod....maybe a 4 weight for those very calm evenings on a lake but so far, I have not noticed any disadvantages with my 7 weight even when it comes to fishing very skittish large brook trout sipping tiny flies in the middle of a lake. In those situations, I use a very long leader (14 to 16 feet) with a 3/4 to 2 lb tippet.