View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why did you go two hand?

I'll catch flak from the two handed friends here but I thought it would be a more effecient way to fish the tribs, its not in my opinion. If you're out west or have some real big water, it makes covering water alot easier and you can move a fairly big fly a good distance but, to me, to fish 99% of the Erie tribs here in Ohio its way overkill. Don't get me wrong there are spots and sections where the long rod is a big plus but most of the time I found it to be limiting. I found myself walking past water that I knew to hold fish but couldn't fish it well with a 13 foot rod, even an 11' rod was too much. The fish get pressured all fall and really heavy come spring and a big ole fat line ripping up the water on every cast would spook fish half the time. Is it easier to cast? Absolutely, very easy on the shoulders and hell its fun too. For me though I couldn't pick apart water like I can with a smaller rod. I'll admit that the long rods have fallen out of favor with me as I like, should say love, to fish smaller rods under 9' so I'm biased. Were I to fish alot on bigger waters in the Upper Midwest, the Pacific Northwest, or any river where a 60' cast isn't getting you into the game I would certainly use a spey/switch rod. If you have the water go for it, if you fish smaller rivers learn single hand spey casts, they'll keep the psychical stress down too.