View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why did you go two hand?

I switched from a single hand rod to a spey rod for steelhead fishing because it was the cool thing to do. Well, not entirely true. It happened one day on the Deschutes River when I was taking a two day guided trip I won in a raffle. The guide catered to Spey fishers and he wanted to convert me. There were four boats and eight anglers. I was the only one with a single hander. On the second day, I finally caved in and gave it a try. Big mistake! It has cost me thousands of dollars (think Sarcione, Hatch, Winston, T&T). Seriously, it changed my fishing life. I stuck with it and became a competent caster. I use the spey rod on the Deschutes because I believe it is a better casting tool. I can fish places I could not fish well with a single hander because my back cast was obstructed by tall stream side grasses and Alder trees. It is especially advantageous to me as a right hander when I am fishing river right. That is most of the time when fishing the road. I feel my fly is also in the water more as there is no false casting and I can cast farther making longer wider swings. In the winter it enables me to cast large flies and sinking tips with ease. It's a whole new ball game, and I'm one of the guides best friends now.

I still use a single hand rod for all of my trout fishing, even on the Deschutes. I would also use one for small stream steelheading, or dead drifting a nymph, both of which I seldom if ever do anymore. I can't help with bass or striper fishing.

Last edited by dillon; 01-17-2013 at 11:37 AM.